Thursday, July 03, 2008

Inept

Inept: Without skill or aptitude for a particular task or assignment (Dictionary.com)

I have been a mental health and substance abuse counselor for six years now.  I enjoy what I do because it is one career where you can directly see change in the life of another person.  My training, along with my compassion and spiritual gifts, helps me to connect with people on a deep level so that I am able to discuss topics with them that they have never shared with others.  There have been many occasions when I finished talking with a client that I felt that I brought clarity to their life and I promoted positive change.  Those are the days that I really enjoy and look forward to, however this is not always the case.

Today was one of those days where I wished that I did not even get up and talk to my clients. Obviously, due to the confidentiality I hold to my clients, I cannot be specific about the situations that I encounter, but they affect me nonetheless.  One situation I faced today made me literally want to cry.  As I sat there and listened to some secrets that one of my clients held it physically hurt me to listen.  I did not know what to say.  I wondered why do people suffer and go through horrible situations such as these.  I felt absolutely useless as their helper.  There were no scripts prepared for this situation.  It was not something that I was taught how to handle and yet I sat there feeling utterly inept.  I know that it is not my job to fix people but who in the world can help them. Medication is not always the answer.  Therapy does not always fix it either.  I know this is a situation that only God can bring healing to.

So what do I do with these feelings of inadequacy?  I know they will fade as they always do, but this is where I am right now.  I pray for peace from God because He is the only one who can make sense of this fallen world and all of its casualties.

No comments: