Monday, May 04, 2009

Why Did I Get Married? (Part One)



In 2007, the great Tyler Perry wrote and produced a movie called Why Did I Get Married? This movie follows the story of four couples and the relationship issues that they are going through. This film gives a realistic viewpoint on the problems of married life and how we can sometimes grow apart. If you have not seen the movie it is worth the rental fee. It is PG-13 so go to www.screenit.com to get a complete review before you rent it.

I believe this is a great question for all married people to consider, why did you get married? When I do premarital counseling I always ask the couples this question. The responses are usually predictable, but always funny. "I love her" "He completes me" "It just feels right" "She is cute" "He makes me happy" The reasons go on and on! These reason are not necessarily wrong, but I believe there are many others factors that should come into play.

This month I am conducting a marriage seminar in North Little Rock, AR at the Lynch Road Church of Christ. We will be answering the same question, why did I get married? There will be five areas of concern that we will look at in order to answer this question:
1) To Have a Distinctively Christian Marriage
2) To Live in Submission to God
3) To Communicate My Needs
4) To Live in Peace
5) To Share Intimacy With My Spouse

I will be blogging about each of these topics during the month of May.

I hope you will join me on Tuesday when I will begin discussing what makes a Christian marriage distinctively different.

No comments: