Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Unexpected Blessing


I have been unable to update my blog for the past 2-3 weeks due to an overwhelmingly busy schedule. God has put before my family some awesome opportunities that have kept our minds occupied.

Roughly 2-3 weeks ago I was offered a position to teach on the Bible faculty at Harding University in Searcy, AR. Teaching on the college level has been a dream of mine for several years, but I figured I would be in my 40's and finished with my doctorate before that would be a possibility. Who knew that God had different plans for me?



This decision would not be easy to make because it would mean: 1) Dana would have to return full time work outside of the home and 2) Leaving our congregation that I have only been the minister for almost 2 years. She has really enjoyed being home with the girls and has been a great blessing to them by being at home. We also feel that we have seen some good spiritual growth in the congregation here. Why can't these type of decisions be easy?



We have prayed so much about this decision and have been seeking the counsel of many close friends. After MUCH prayer and direction we have decided to make the move in August. It is very exciting, but will require much change on our part in such a short time period.



Our summer will go as follows: 1) Dana finding a job teaching, 2) Finding childcare for our girls, 3) Preparing our house to sell, 4) Selling our house, 5) Finding a place to live, 6) Preparing for my fall classes, and 7) Actually moving down there. This should be easy right!?



I will be teaching two sections of 'Christian Home'. This class will focus on how to prepare for marriage, mate selection, raising children, and integrating spirituality into this process. I will also be teaching two sections of 'Christian Counseling'. This class will focus on teaching counseling skills to those individuals who will work in the church.



Words cannot express the overwhelming feeling of God at work in our lives. It is awesome to see how He blesses His children even though none of us deserve it. Please pray for our family, the congregation here, and for the work at Harding.

2 comments:

Matt W said...

That's great, Mike! Do you have any idea how soon you'll move down there? We go to Beebe to visit our parents fairly regularly and we would really like to get with you guys sometime when we are over there.

Dr. Burt said...

Welcome to HU!